Re: How to "upgrade" a dpkg with a .deb

Paul Dwerryhouse wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 11:17:52PM -0500, Matt England wrote:
>> How can one upgrade an installed dpkg with a .deb file, much the same way
>> one can run:
>>    rpm -Uhv <new-version-of-package.rpm>
>> using rpm?  I was hoping for a
>>    dpkg -u <new-version-of-package.deb>
>> command, but I don't see this or anything like it.
>
> dpkg -i  is the equivalent of both rpm -U and rpm -i.
>
> It will install whatever version of the deb that you tell it to,
> replacing the original package (rather than whinging that a package is
> already installed, as rpm will, if you use -i).

 because dpkg is smart  ;)
from dpkg man page
-----
Installation consists of the following steps:

1. Extract the control files of the new package.

2. If another version of the same package was installed before the new
installation,  exe-cute prerm script of the old package.

3. Run preinst script, if provided by the package.

4.  Unpack the new files, and at the same time back up the old files, so
that if something goes wrong, they can be restored.

5. If another version of the same package was installed before the new
installation,  exe-cute  the  postrm  script  of the old package. Note
that this script is executed after the preinst script of the new
package, because new files are written  at  the  same  time  old files
are removed.

6. Configure the package. See --configure for detailed information about
how this is done.

HTH,
/KS

PS: replied to only Paul the first time by mistake.