Re: How to "upgrade" a dpkg with a .deb

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 11:17:52PM -0500, Matt England wrote:
> How can one upgrade an installed dpkg with a .deb file, much the same way
> one can run:
>    rpm -Uhv <new-version-of-package.rpm>
> using rpm?  I was hoping for a
>    dpkg -u <new-version-of-package.deb>
> command, but I don't see this or anything like it.

dpkg -i  is the equivalent of both rpm -U and rpm -i.

It will install whatever version of the deb that you tell it to,
replacing the original package (rather than whinging that a package is
already installed, as rpm will, if you use -i).

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
Linoleum - Linux Programming Resources: