Re: KDE being removed?

Kent West wrote:

> edwardsa wrote:
>
>> Katipo wrote:

>>> If you use KDE, it's a definite concern.
>>> If you don't, you're better off for a lighter system.
>>>
>>> Which release were you upgrading from and to?
>>> When using apt-get, it's generally better to do -u dist-upgrade so that
>>> you can see what's going on, from my days of using it.
>>> Regards,
>>>

>> I do use kde. I was just wondering whether this package has been
>> subsumed by another. I'm running etch, and was just doing a routine
>> upgrade.
>

> It's been my experience than when running unstable, packages get
> b0rken and things like this sometimes happen. As a general rule, if
> I'm paying attention, I can stop the upgrade and try again in a day or
> two and things go well. If I'm not paying attention and I remove
> something, usually just a simple install again restores things, since
> removal doesn't remove config files.
>
> I believe "kde" is a virtual package anyway, removal of it shouldn't
> hurt you any.

The fact that it's a meta didn't occur to me - and should have.
I thought you were referring to the entire KDE ensemble.

Almost definitely the case.
Don't worry about it - just go ahead (You keep back-ups?).

But from memory, I only ever used a 'dist-upgrade' command when I was
moving from a 'testing' release to an 'unstable' one, for example.
The rest of the time it was simply a sequence of the two commands
'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade'.
Others would probably be in a position to advise better.
Regards,