Re: KDE being removed?

edwardsa wrote:
Katipo wrote:
edwardsa wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

edwardsa wrote:
I was doing an dist-upgrade and kde was being removed. Should I be
concerned?
Using aptitude?

Using apt-get

If you use KDE, it's a definite concern.
If you don't, you're better off for a lighter system.

Which release were you upgrading from and to?
When using apt-get, it's generally better to do -u dist-upgrade so that
you can see what's going on, from my days of using it.
Regards,

I do use kde. I was just wondering whether this package has been subsumed by another. I'm running etch, and was just doing a routine upgrade.

It's been my experience than when running unstable, packages get b0rken and things like this sometimes happen. As a general rule, if I'm paying attention, I can stop the upgrade and try again in a day or two and things go well. If I'm not paying attention and I remove something, usually just a simple install again restores things, since removal doesn't remove config files.

I believe "kde" is a virtual package anyway, removal of it shouldn't hurt you any.

--
Kent