Re: KDE being removed?

edwardsa wrote:
Katipo wrote:
edwardsa wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

edwardsa wrote:
I was doing an dist-upgrade and kde was being removed. Should I be
concerned?
Using aptitude?

Using apt-get

If you use KDE, it's a definite concern.
If you don't, you're better off for a lighter system.

Which release were you upgrading from and to?
When using apt-get, it's generally better to do -u dist-upgrade so that
you can see what's going on, from my days of using it.
Regards,

I do use kde. I was just wondering whether this package has been subsumed by another. I'm running etch, and was just doing a routine upgrade.

Probably it's about to be upgraded. One of the packages on which it
depends has been upgraded and released early. If you were to install
that package, another package on which KDE depends would not be
compatible with it, so apt wants to remove it, and KDE with it.
You'll need to ask for each one of the list to be upgraded, and
not to do the one(s) which want to remove KDE.

You may want to try Synaptic, a graphical front end to apt. It
makes this game a lot quicker (unless you're a demon touch-typist,
and I'm not) and this is much more important with Sid. I'm regularly
asked if I'm happy to remove KDE, Gnome, X etc. and need to find
which of perhaps fifty packages is the bad guy.