Re: Debain as gigabit router?

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 11:59:59PM +0200, Erik Persson wrote:
> Erik Persson wrote:
> >I have heard some people saying it is possible to run linux as a
> >gb-router on pc-hardware and some have actually tested it, but it would
> >be very nice to hear from some more people who have tried it!
> >Nothing beats the real world.
>
> Is there anyone on the debian-user list who has tried debian as a
> gigabit router and have some input?

Yes, I've done it. I've saturated two 1Gbit links with a debian/netfilter
based router (3Ghz P4). Whether or not it's possible in your situation
though depends largely on the type of network traffic and the complexity of
your filtering rules. If your packet rates are low and your filters fairly
simple it should be pretty easy to saturate a 1Gbit ethernet link.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj@vdbonline.com
  xmpp:cj@vdbonline.com