Re: Debain as gigabit router?

On Saturday 26 August 2006 15:45, Erik Persson wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've asked the same question on debian-isp, but I ask here as well.
>
> Is there anyone who has any experience regarding running debian on an
> Athlon 64 3200+, with dual 1gb/s lan, as a router and firewall?
>
> Or more generally, running debian as a gigabit router with dual 1gb/s nics?
>
> Any problems?
> Anything special to think about?
> What throughput is it possible to reach?
> How have you solved any problems?
> How is throughput affected by packet filtering?

I can't answer your question directly, but I can give you a point in the
ground.

I run a debian (was sarge - just updated to etch) server with two 100Mb
ethernet cards in to act as a router/firewall AND web server, tomcat
applications server, mail server, fileserver, print server, name server, dhcp
server etc etc.

CPU load rarely gets above 3% except when people are accessing the web site
(thats the java machines in topcat).  That is with a 1.7Gh Celeron

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk