Re: stupid dependency on aptitude

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 05:41:03PM +0100, Wackojacko wrote:

> T wrote:
> >
> >If you worry about the unneeded packages, then use deborphan. I use it
> >every time I install or un-install packages. no hassle at all.
>
> The only problem with this is that, IIRC, deborphan is deprecated in
> sid/etch as this functionality is now built into aptitude.  It seems we
> are being encouraged to use aptitude :)  I use Kpackage as a front end
> to apt-get and find this to be sufficient with an odd deborphan every
> now and then, hopefully kpackage can be made to use aptitude in the future!

The deborphan man page or README doesn't mention it being deprecated.  I
would be sad if it went away, though, as it's quite useful to, for
example, `dpkg --purge $(deborphan)`  (of course after checking the
output of deborphan on its own)

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
You never gain something but that you lose something.