Re: Debian upgrade

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 09:01:13AM +0200, Daniel Rode wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can you please advise me how to upgrade Debian Woody to Debian Etch as
> painless as possible?

Usually not :-)  You should post to debian-user@lists.debian.org

See more at
 http://www.debian.org/
 http://lists.debian.org/

> Should I upgrade Woody to Sarge and then Sarge to Etch or direct Woody
> to Etch upgrade is possible?

Possible: maybe with some troble but certainly not supported by us.
 http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/
 http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ
 http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller
 Hmmm... kind of difficult find things on upgrade.

> If the first option is the right one, should I use aptitude instead of
> apt? Why?

woody to sarge
 There were release note (I can not find it.)
 I think it was initially apt-get then aptitude
sarge to etch
 aptitude
 I recommend you to upgrade kernel to 2.6 in sarge

Interesting to lok back and think.

Osamu