Re: Hey, Steve! (WAS: Re: Pumping Gas in Oregon)

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Like the US is any better, then.  So far, the only weapons Iraq's been able to
> use to inflict any real damage on US life is with IEDs.

    You mean Syria, Iran and Lebanon?

>>     All of those were looked at and in pretty much every case refuted.

> I'm not so sure about that.  Show me neutral sources.

    Why?  The reports were made in anti-bush sources (NY Times being the prime
example), they just weren't on the front page nor were they run for 2-3 weeks
straight like the story they were refuting.  It's a common pattern.  2-3 weeks
of "There might be a problem here" followed up by maybe 1 day of "whoops".  I
mean exactly how much coverage is the fauxtography getting compared to what
the falsified pictures got in the first place?  Virtually none.  Even though
it has been known since at least 2001 that Palastinian sources falsified
reports and media sources went with it to give "a compelling story".  The
pinnacle of that doctrine is Dan Rather's "false but accurate" report that led
to his removal from CBS.

> I didn't mention anything about racial inequality in the voting system.

    You didn't have to.  You referenced the Florida elections and one of the
largest charges in that election was racial inequity.

> If you want to talk about inequality in the voting system, start taking a look
> at the problems caused by trying to squeeze elections into an eight hour
> timespan.

    Oddly enough most states I am aware of and/or have voted in are at least
on a 12-14 hour day.  They should be on a 24 hour day with no announcements of
what's going on until after the polls are closes everywhere.

> Watching newscasts of out of state elections is like watching
> Soviet breadlines.  Abolishing the voting booth and switching to vote-by-mail
> spreads things out over six weeks so everybody gets a chance.¹

    Yeah, sure.  If you count a small portion of the voting stations in the
US.  I know I certainly didn't stand in line for hours in 2004.  I was in and
out in under 10 minutes and that was after work and after the 8 hour limit.
The same was true in 2000 and 1996.

> You might want to turn down the Rush Limbaugh and shut off the Fox News and
> try reading a paper for a change (NYT doesn't count, that's more like a daily
> magazine than anything anymore).

    Don't listen to Rush nor do I watch Fox News any more than I watch CNN
which is to say, at work during break.  I have this lovely thing called the
Internet and I read quite a few sources on line which themselves aggregate
their news from many worldwide sources.  Of all the major broadcast media you
could say that I listen to NPR and BBC the most on the days I commute to work
in the car.