Re: Problem with Raid Array persistence across reboots.

Chandler, Alan wrote:
[Apologies if this has already been sent.  My home computer systems
seems to be falling around my ears as I have changed all the disks
around, and I desperately need to ask the question below and get an
answer, so I can rebuild my desktop system, and thus release some disks
acting as backup on my server.  I was trying to send this via sqwebmail
from my home server, but it died in the process and  - my ssh session
terminated and could not be re-established. I think I have probably run
out of disk space, because until I do release the space I am running
with a very restricted root filesystem .  Until I get home I can't fix
it, but I want to ask this question quickly to get answers start me on
my way]

I created a raid array with mdadm, thus mdadm --create=/dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sd[ab]4 and then turned /dev/md0 into a LVM physical volume, volume group and
some logical volumes.
This worked great until I rebooted, at which point the start-up scripts
failed to recreate the raid array, and I got into tricky problems with
duplicate LVM PVs with the same UUID. [and ironically, since I used raid
to avoid it, some data loss - although fortunately I DO have backups]
Two questions 1) In the Debian world, how do you make raid arrays persistent across
reboots?
[It appears that Debian does not use raidtools and /etc/raidtab as the
linux raid howto says)
2) If I do manage to create the array, what stops vgscan during LVM
startup from picking up 3 physical volumes (/dev/md0, /dev/sda4 and
/dev/sdb4) with the same UUID and only find /dev/md0?
--
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
(Sent from work e-mail )

Alan,

I do not use SATA (I am soooo 20th century) and would follow Clives' advise there. I have played with raid arrays and wrote a down and dirty step by step on how I did it AND copied the data from /boot and mirrored that as well complete with dual grub installs on to both parts of the mirror. I hope this will help you: www.damtek.com

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com