Re: Pumping Gas in Oregon (WAS: Re: Osama Bin Laden Take Over List!)

On Thursday 24 August 2006 14:29, Katipo wrote:
> You're in the States, and therefore classified as American market source.
> I'm in Australia, and it's all China and Korea here.
> Very little from South America or EU.

I used to get a *lot* from Korea, almost all of it from Kornet.  I have to
wonder if they cleaned up their act or went under:  I haven't heard peep one
from Korea for months now.

> Corporates employ off-shore spammers because they have the cheap labour
> resources ( a lot of the ISPs clients get free online in return for
> spamming), act as an identity buffer for public image factors, and being
> off-shore, the ISP, and therefore corporate identity, enjoys a level of
> insulation from prosecution.

I haven't seen any corporate marketing of any kind via email, except from
ThinkGeek and Dotster, but I subscribed to their newsletters.  At least in
the States, corporate spam is such a massively bad PR move that about the
only thing you're likely to get unsolicited via email with a corporate logo
on it is a phishing attempt from the EU or central Africa.

> Last fiscal year, the American pharmaceutical sector invested $4 billion
> in direct advertising.
> Not all of that went to spammers, but if it did, it would have
> translated into an effective $20 billion in advertising value.

I'm not sure any of it went to spammers, as the pharm companies themselves
lose money because of spammers selling knockoffs.

--
Paul Johnson