Re: [sarge] devfs_mk_dir errors at boot

Joseph Le-Phan wrote:
> I recently completed a Sarge installation on lvm2 on raid. While the
> system appears to be working fine after a reboot, i found the following
> error message slightly distracting:
>
> devfs_mk_dir: invalid argument.<4>devfs_mk_dev: could not append to
> parent for /disc
>
> It appears a lot of times at boot, with no error message coming before
> or after it.
>
> I understand that it could be harmless, but I'd like to know why it's
> occuring, and if there are ways to prevent it from occuring.

Firstly, sorry about the rather lame fqdn.

I forgot to mention in my initial post that there were error
messages at shutdown, too.

On other systems (i.e., those not exhibiting this error,) shutdown
usually produces something similar to:

	md0 switched to read-only mode
	md1 swtiched to read-only mode

On my system, however, while I have only md0 and md1 built, shutdown
would produce:

	md342352 switched to read-only mode
	md226886 switched to read-only mode
	md32424 switched to read-only mode
	md96896 switched to read-only mode
	md3409 switched to read-only mode
	md2342 switched to read-only mode
	md355 switched to read-only mode
	md185 switched to read-only mode
	<snipped much lengthier output>

The exact error message is different, and because I haven't found a log
containing these messages, there could very well be a pattern in the
numbers during different shutdown times.

Again, the system functions fine, but I'd like to know if this is a bug
worth submitting, or if it's a limitation of using devfs (I've used Etch
and Sid in the past with udev, and I've never seen this before.)

Thanks, and again, sorry again about the fqdn.