Re: Annoying iptables console logging

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 16:01:27 -0400, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > those messages are printed by kernel to the current console(s).
> > 'dmesg -n' configures messages of which level to print to the console(s).
> > They all are still send to kmsg, where syslogd,syslog-ng or klogd read
> > them from.
>
> Aside from installing syslog-ng how to configure dmesg so it doesn't display
> messages to console? From reading dmesg(8) it seems to me that it is just
> one-shot display program not configurable anywhere. I have probably missed
> something important ... :-(

I am not sure about dmesg, but Sid has this in /etc/sysctl.conf:

# Uncomment the following to stop low-level messages on console
# kernel.printk = 4 4 1 7

I would therefore assume that this adjustment of the kernel's printk
parameter is the "recommended" way of stopping the messages on the
console. If you want to change the setting with immediate effect you can
use

echo "4 4 1 7" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

Uncommenting the line in /etc/sysctl.conf makes this permanent over
reboots. (I believe that you have to add this line yourself on Sarge.)

--
Regards,
          Florian