Annoying iptables console logging

I have iptables to log messages at info level (so it's level 6).

At first i played with syslogd by tweaking syslog.conf, which in
despair led me to edit it to a single line:
*.* /dev/null

Since that didn't worked i KILLed both syslogd and klogd. I still kept
getting msgs to console.

So i googled even more and found that the issue might be
kernel.printk, so i changed it from "7 4 1 7" to "3 4 1 7". I also
tried values "1 7 1 7".

Nothing works!!! This is anoying as hell.

I am running Debian unstable and kernel 2.6.8-2-686 (not that i think
that's the problem).

TIA