Re: mach64 module missing

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:31:43 +0300
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> On Saturday 19 August 2006 07:21, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> > > The mach64 module wasn't found so X can't run on this machine that one
> > > was fatal.  I did tasksel and selected desktop environment so as to
> > > have a few things for X to run but not quite enough things apparently.
> >
> > If you're talking about a mach64 video card, then you should be able to
> > run X using the card without any trouble.
> >
> > Getting direct rendering working is tricky, however.  Apparently, due to
> > some security concerns, the driver for direct rendering for the Mach64
> > Rage Pro card is not included.  It can be obtained at
> > http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/
> > (the general site is http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Download)  The
> > driver comes with an install script that is pretty easy.   I use Etch,
> > with xorg.
> >
> > There was a way to get direct rendering to work with Sarge using xfree86
> > too, that being to add
> > deb http://www.nixnuts.net/files/ ./
> > deb-src http://www.nixnuts.net/files/ ./
> > to your sources.list, and then install drm-trunk-module-src to your
> > machine.  I don't know if these repositories are still in operation or
> > not, though.
> >
> > A site with information is at
> > http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting
> >
> > Good luck.
>
> Yes, lot's of luck!
>
> I had been using the "nixnuts" driver for a long time until it was simply
> impossible to keep along it with Sid's  xorg. Succumbed, bought an Nvidia
> card which is ten times faster anyway.
>
> I know nothing aobut the freedesktop driver but it might be worth a look.

The problem is that they stopped making snapshots around april saying that they
are useless with modular X. The debian x server comes with mach64 support but
the kernel support is a problem. There is no module in the kernel and the
snapshot module wouldn't compile with latest kernels last time I tried.