Re: mach64 module missing

The mach64 module wasn't found so X can't run on this machine that one was fatal. I did tasksel and selected desktop environment so as to have a few things for X to run but not quite enough things apparently.
If you're talking about a mach64 video card, then you should be able to run X using the card without any trouble. Getting direct rendering working is tricky, however. Apparently, due to some security concerns, the driver for direct rendering for the Mach64 Rage Pro card is not included. It can be obtained at http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/ (the general site is http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Download) The driver comes with an install script that is pretty easy. I use Etch, with xorg. There was a way to get direct rendering to work with Sarge using xfree86 too, that being to add
deb http://www.nixnuts.net/files/ ./
deb-src http://www.nixnuts.net/files/ ./
to your sources.list, and then install drm-trunk-module-src to your machine. I don't know if these repositories are still in operation or not, though.

A site with information is at http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting

Good luck.

Mark