root cd : init not found

Hello

I am trying to make my own root cd for learning purpose.
I have made a floppy with a kernel 2.6.15 and I try to boot the cd but it fails ...
However I have tried to make a root floppy and it succeded (butnot enough tools where available due to size).

the message following the root filesystem mounted are:
VFS: Mounted root (iso9660 filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 212k freed
failed to execute /sbin/init. Attempting  defaults ...
Kernel panic ....

on the floppy
---------------------
in /boot/grub/menu.lst
title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.15
root            (fd0)
kernel          /boot/bzImage init=/sbin/init root=/dev/hdc ro single ramdisk_start=0 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1
pause           CAUTION INSERT CDROM NOW
savedefault
boot

on the cdrom
--------------------
all devices needed are present (/dev/hdc, /dev/ram0 ...)
all librairies needed too

in /etc/fstab :
/dev/hdc    /    iso9660  ro,exec,auto 0   0
#no proc filesystem is used (do I need it ?)

If I have understood (which is not sure :) ... with the menu.lst of grub, a ramdisk should be mounted (thanks to the cd) ...and here is probably the problem !!!
CAN a RAMDISK be created thanks to an iso9660 image ... or must it be a gzip (of ext2) or ext2 filesystem ?

Do I need initrd ? I suppose not cause kernel can mount a ramdisk itself

Once I get through that difficult (for me) stage, the init program will be executed and it will among others things mount the cdrom as root (inittab)

Can someone help me ?

Thanks

PS: I know that having a root filesystem mounted readonly is not the idea of the century :)

Découvrez un nouveau moyen de poser toutes vos questions quelque soit le sujet ! Yahoo! Questions/Réponses pour partager vos connaissances, vos opinions et vos expériences. Cliquez ici.