Re: Stop detection of removed drive

Debian User#46kmz5j02 wrote:
A non-system hard drive went bad in my dual-boot XP Pro/Debian pc. I had to unplug it because it kept making "clunking" noises, and caused XP to seize up and reboot.

My machine boots into XP ok, but when I boot into Linux it spends a very long time trying to communicate with the missing drive, and displays these messages a few times, before it gives up and continues to boot:

ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hdh: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x41
hdh: DMA timeout error
hdh: dma timeout error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

I have commented out the entry for this drive in /etc/fstab. Is there something else I need to change to stop it from trying to communicate with the missing drive?

I've usually prevent the OS from looking at bad drives by disabling the particular IDE channel in the BIOS.

Arthur.