Is the xserver-xorg configuration system broken?

Hi,

I'm stymied about my inability to properly (re) configure my Xorg X server; I've googled and found people with similar problems, but no systematic solution or explanation. I figure I'll ask here before filing a bug report.

I run a system which is mostly Sid, and recently upgraded a bunch of X packages. I was warned that after the upgrade the xserver-xorg package might not be installed. It wasn't, and I reinstalled it. The new xorg.conf wasn't correct - it had the wrong mouse device, and even after I corrected it, the "Display" subsections of the "Screen" section weren't right - the highest resolution was 800x600, and I was succesfully running 1024x768 (at 60khz) before. I have various old xorg.conf backups, but for some reason I can't find one with a 1024x768 modeline, if that's what I need. The backups I can find also don't have 1024x768 in the "Display" subsections. Are the current scripts misidentifying my monitor's characteristics? Is it possible that I was successfully running an unsupported resolution before?

I tried purging xserver-xorg ('dpkg -P' and 'apt-get remove --purge') and then reinstalling it, but I can't get the install scripts to generate anything higher than 800x600. The old (certainly xfree86, and I think even xorg) install scripts contained options about desired resolutions and monitor sync values; the current xorg scripts don't. An xorg web site (http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ConfigurationHelp) mentions the 'xorgcfg' and 'xorgconfig' configuration utilities, but neither seems to be included in the standard Debian xserver-xorg package.

When I reinstall after purging, the scripts ask a bunch of the config questions three separate times (apparently during the preinstall and postinstall and one other time).

The config scripts keep issuing warnings about a migration of old xfree86 debconf values. Is this something significant? I've tried running dexconf, but I didn't accomplish anything.

Any help or pointer to useful information will be greatly appreciated!

Celejar

--
ssuds.sourceforge.net - Home of Ssuds and Ssudg, a Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator