Re: LVM2 for root -- initramfs-tools -- etch HOWTO?

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 04:23:57PM -0400, Matej Cepl wrote:
> can anybody tell me some HOWTO for %subj%? It seems to me that Debian
> kernels per default initialize LVM only after INIT is run. Does the fact
> that I have some LVM2 volumes persuade update-initramfs to insert
> appropriate modules into initramfs?

initramfs-tools in etch has support for lvm built in. It should "just work"
you don't have to do anything at all.  You have to use the
/dev/mapper/volgrp--logicalvolume path to the volume though. (as opposed to
the /dev/volgrp/logicalvolume version) Then the initramfs script
automatically kicks in and initializes lvm before mounting root.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj@vdbonline.com
  xmpp:cj@vdbonline.com