Re: booting up the system

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 01:28:51AM -0300, Iuri Sampaio wrote:
> I've installed on my machine a dual boot system, one to debian and other
> windows.

congratulations.

> But I reinstalled my windows OS and now I lost lilo boot loader and I can
> boot my linux.

yup. that happens a lot. you need to prepare in advance for the next
time you have to reinstall windows (because you KNOW it will
happen). Make your self a boot floppy with copies of the necessary
files for your boot loader so that you can recover your MBR after
windows destroys it. Your best bet is to make a GRUB boot floppy which
you can use to boot into your debian system and then re-run
update-grub and grub-install.

> Do you know a way to get into my debian box? Then I am able to install
> lilo
> over again on the master boot sector or even better to install it on a
> floppy disk?

boot with a live cd like knoppix. you can then chroot into your debian
environment and fix it up from there. There is lots of documentation
in the web about this. try some googling.

> I need mount my system up from the boot loader and install the lilo.
>

> Any clue? How do I visualize the partitions are one my hard disk and
> their
> names.

if you boot into a live-cd, you can use any number of partition tools
to look at your partitions. knoppix includes at least fdisk, cfdisk
and qtparted and maybe more.

> I tried to get it through the CD Installation Boot. I ran the expert mode
> installation and then the shell command. I ran cat/etc/fstab But I don't
> have the devices hda/ and its respectives partitions. I have only the
> CDRoom
> partitions and names.

use fdisk from the installation cd.