Re: booting up the system

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> boot with a live cd like knoppix. you can then chroot into your debian
> environment and fix it up from there. There is lots of documentation
> in the web about this. try some googling.

You can use even installation CD from Debian. Before you get into partition
business,
1) switch to other console (Alt+F2) and there you get a root prompt
no, in this moment /etc/fstab doesn't make any sense, because you are still
just on the ramdisk which Installation CD creates (remember, we are even
before partition of the hard drive, so there may be even Windows on the
hard drive)
2) orient yourself in the partitions with fdisk -l /dev/hda
2) mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
3) chroot /mnt
4) grub-install

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

..every Man has a Property in his own Person. This no Body has
any Right to but himself. The Labour of his Body, and the Work of
his Hands, we may say, are properly his. .... The great and chief
end therefore, of Mens uniting into Commonwealths, and putting
themselves under Government, is the Preservation of their
Property.
    -- John Locke, "A Treatise Concerning Civil Government"