Re: system-dependent variables

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 12:50:58PM -0400, cga2000 wrote:

> > > Did you try starting WPrefs from a shell prompt -- rather than clicking
> > > on an icon..?  There might be useful messages there.
> >
> > Yes, but get only this like error message:
> > "WPrefs warning: could not locate image file iconprefs" eleven times for
> > icons: iconprefs, ergonomic, paths, workspace, configs, menus,
> > keyshortcuts, mousesettings, appearance, fonts, and expert.
> >
> And this is with the "regular sarge version" .. ?

Yes, my system is Debian Sarge, and this happen with regular wmaker
sarge version.

> I assume you are running stable?

Yes.

> Now, _maybe_ we're on to something:
>
> I am running the 0.80.2 version from the sarge repository and there is
> no such thing as a "fonts" option in WPrefs.
>
> This option was added to WPrefs starting with 0.9x.
>
> Does the following directory exist on your system:
>
> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Applications/WPrefs.app/

Yes it exist.

> If it does, what are its contents?

/tiff/
*WPrefs
WPrefs.tiff
WPrefs.xpm

> > Now I have installed only wmaker 0.91.0 without any additional package,
> > like wmaker-data, or wmakerconf..
>
> So you're back with the tarball, right?

Now, the tarball have version 0.92.0 and the regular sarge version is
0.91.0 .

> Something as small and hard to notice as a broken symbolic link to a
> directory -- that might or might not look like it's related to our
> problem .. could prevent the install from working correctly.
>
> Just an example .. I have no idea what's going on here.
>
> One strategy when doing tarball installs:
>
> 1. Create an empty "anchor" file
> 2. Run the install (./configure && make && make install)
> 3. Run a "find" command that lists all files more recent than the
> anchor file redirecting the output to a file.
>
> Far from perfect since there's always a chance that unrelated files
> might be created while the install is running.

Thanks for this advice!

> Check the following:
>
> 1. locate mousesettings.tiff

/usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Applications/WPrefs.app/tiff/mousesettings.tiff

> 2. ls -al mousesettings.tiff
>
> Permissions should be:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root (...)  mousesettings.tiff

  -rw-r--r--  1 root root (...)  mousesettings.tiff

It seem it is OK.

> If this is a system you installed a couple of days ago and have not
> customized anything I would probably do the same.

No, this system is a couple month ago: Debian Sarge.

> My concern is that there may be other things that you haven't had a
> chance to notice yet that may not work.
>
> So if the above doesn't help -- which wouldn't surprise me, since I
> know nothing of wmaker's internals .. I suggest you do the following:
>
> 1. get back to the version that's in the debian repository

I did, I get back to the sarge version: 0.91.0 .

> 2. install wmakerconf and use that to customize wmaker

I did so.

> 3. wait till the wm-user list is back up.

OK

> Try to keep it simple & hopefully someone on the list will be able to
> help.

OK

--
Regards, Paul Csányi