Re: system-dependent variables

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 01:44:53AM EDT, Csanyi Pal wrote:
[..]

> > Did you try starting WPrefs from a shell prompt -- rather than clicking
> > on an icon..?  There might be useful messages there.
>
> Yes, but get only this like error message:
> "WPrefs warning: could not locate image file iconprefs" eleven times for
> icons: iconprefs, ergonomic, paths, workspace, configs, menus,
> keyshortcuts, mousesettings, appearance, fonts, and expert.

And this is with the "regular sarge version" .. ?

I assume you are running stable?

Now, _maybe_ we're on to something:

I am running the 0.80.2 version from the sarge repository and there is
no such thing as a "fonts" option in WPrefs.

This option was added to WPrefs starting with 0.9x.

Does the following directory exist on your system:

/usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Applications/WPrefs.app/

If it does, what are its contents?

> > Also there may be wmaker messages on the linux console from which you
> > started wmaker (if you use startx). If not there is a wmaker error log
> > file in your home directory where you might be able to find useful info.
>
> I start wmaker with gdm.
> In the gdm log files there aren't any message that pertain to wmaker.
> I searched but can't find any wmaker error log files in my home
> directory. (with ls -a)

Seems you need to redirect wmaker's stdout/stderr to a file for this to
work.

When using startx this could be done by specifying this in ~/.xinitrc:

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker >> ~/.wm-errors 2>&1

No idea where you need to put this in gdm.

If you want to try this, you could:

1. create the ~/.xinitrc file with the above command
2. log out of your X session
3. hit Ctr+Alt+F1 (or F2.. F3) to get back to a linux console
4. login under your id
5. at the prompt type "startx -- :1"

Normally your gdm session is running on display #0 so you need to
specify another display.

Not sure is this will give us more info so if it sounds like too much
trouble or my explanations are unclear you might want to skip this.

> > Lastly, did you check the permissions on the files as another poster
> > requested?  I forgot to mention that in my earlier posts but it's always
> > the first thing to check because it is a very probable cause of icons
> > not being displayed since the program running under your id may not be
> > able to open them.
>
> Now I have installed only wmaker 0.91.0 without any additional package,
> like wmaker-data, or wmakerconf..

So you're back with the tarball, right?

This time, did you remove the regular sarge version before installing
0.91?

> I removed manually several times every directories and files that looked
> like they were wmaker/wprefs files. Then I install again wmaker

Something as small and hard to notice as a broken symbolic link to a
directory -- that might or might not look like it's related to our
problem .. could prevent the install from working correctly.

Just an example .. I have no idea what's going on here.

One strategy when doing tarball installs:

1. Create an empty "anchor" file
2. Run the install (./configure && make && make install)
3. Run a "find" command that lists all files more recent than the
anchor file redirecting the output to a file.

Far from perfect since there's always a chance that unrelated files
might be created while the install is running.

> version 0.91.0 but still have this error.

Broken libraries?

> I try to run WPrefs as root user (I log in as root at gdm) but still have
> the error.

Check the following:

1. locate mousesettings.tiff
2. ls -al mousesettings.tiff

Permissions should be:

-rw-r--r--  1 root root (...)  mousesettings.tiff

> I sended now an e-mail to wm-user list with this issue, but get the error
> message:

.. same here ..

> Myhap I should reinstall my whole Debian system to solve this problem?

I can understand your frustration.

If this is a system you installed a couple of days ago and have not
customized anything I would probably do the same.

Otherwise reinstalling because one minor app cannot find its icons
makes no sense.

My concern is that there may be other things that you haven't had a
chance to notice yet that may not work.

So if the above doesn't help -- which wouldn't surprise me, since I
know nothing of wmaker's internals .. I suggest you do the following:

1. get back to the version that's in the debian repository
2. install wmakerconf and use that to customize wmaker
3. wait till the wm-user list is back up.

Try to keep it simple & hopefully someone on the list will be able to
help.

Thanks

cga