Re: Compiling kernel 2.6.16 or higher under Sarge

shahim essaid.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am somewhat new to Debian and Iam not sure if this is possible. I want
> to compile a 2.6.16 from source but the minimum requirement listed under
> Documentation/Changes are not satisfied under Sarge. udev, for example,
> has to be 071 or higher.

I've never followed the "Current Minimal Requirements" list, and have used the latest kernels for many years on all versions of Debian stable. I am currently running stock Sarge with linux 2.6.17.7.

> I did try backports.org but there were too many other dependencies and I
> didn't want to make all the changes without getting some advice first.
>
> Can I compile 2.6.16 from source under Sarge?

I've done it, but would recommend the latest from kernel.org to get the newest security patches. The only problem with running the latest kernels is the occasional lemon. If that's a concern, you can hang back a few revs and follow the kernal lists and web sites.

> I am assuming that even if I compile a kernel under unstable or testing,
> I will still need to meet the kernel requirements to be able to install
> it under Sarge. Am I correct?

All I can say is that I've not had any problems though I did not upgrade for server usage, but for mulimedia drivers. I use only stable Debian kernels for servers.

> In case you are wondering why I am doing this, I would like to setup an
> IPSec firewall/router and my understanding is that for kernels below
> 2.6.16 I will have to apply netfilter/iptables patches to be able to use
> Policy Match and other features with Shorewall.  Is this correct?

This patches business sounds like a nightmare. Instead you might download the latest stable kernel from kernel.org (currently 2.6.17.8).

> thought it was going to be easier to compile a recent kernel instead of
> figuring out the patches but it looks like this is just as difficult to
> follow.

More like nearly impossible, and what's the point since you give up stability anyway? Other distros feature the latest and greatest if that's what you need and Testing and Sid are for latest apps at the cost of stability.