Compiling kernel 2.6.16 or higher under Sarge

Hi all,

I am somewhat new to Debian and Iam not sure if this is possible. I want to compile a 2.6.16 from source but the minimum requirement listed under Documentation/Changes are not satisfied under Sarge. udev, for example, has to be 071 or higher.

I did try backports.org but there were too many other dependencies and I didn't want to make all the changes without getting some advice first.

Can I compile 2.6.16 from source under Sarge?

I am assuming that even if I compile a kernel under unstable or testing, I will still need to meet the kernel requirements to be able to install it under Sarge. Am I correct?

In case you are wondering why I am doing this, I would like to setup an IPSec firewall/router and my understanding is that for kernels below 2.6.16 I will have to apply netfilter/iptables patches to be able to use Policy Match and other features with Shorewall. Is this correct? I thought it was going to be easier to compile a recent kernel instead of figuring out the patches but it looks like this is just as difficult to follow.

Thanks
Shahim