Compiling kernel 2.6.17.4 or higher

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to upgrade my 2.6.14.2 kernel in my server to a 2.6.17.4 or
higher using my current .config. There isn't any problem in compiling
time and in grub i put the same config but with different "vmlinuz"
file, but when i reboot i get a kernel panic error like that "Kernel
panic: VFS: Unable to mount sda5 fs on unknown-block(0,0)"

Have anyone any idea? i'm using the same fstab and i'm using the same
config only change the kernel. Maybe it can't detects SCSI drives?

Thank you for your help and sorry for my poor english.