Re: chown

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 03:49:23PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (15/08/06 09:29), Kent West wrote:
> > Hmm; on my box:
> >
> > westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> man 2 chown
> > No manual entry for chown in section 2
> > See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.
>
> Hi Kent
>
> $ man chown
>
> works here; it seems to be in 1

chown(1) is the command-line program.  chown(2) is the underlying system
call used by chown(1) to do its dirty work, which is relevant here
because chown(2)'s man page explicitly mentions that it only works for
priviliged users, but chown(1)'s doesn't.

Now if I could just figure out why the command-line program is in
section 1 ("Executable programs or shell commands") rather than section
8 ("System administration commands (usually only for root)")...

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that