Re: how can i extract data from mallfunction reiserfs parttion

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:44:19 +0300, Jabka Atu wrote:

> my Harddrive had past a way (aka died) ... but i had so much data oin it
> and i need to get iit back (at least some of it).
> so here is the info:
> while reiserfsck --rebuild-tree it found lots of bad sectors so it didn't

ho ho, wait, that's the least thing you'd like to do. Hope I get back in
time before you've done serious damage to you disk.

I've seen a perfect tool for that somewhere but can't find it anymore...

Ah, finally, here:

Recovering from file system corruption using TestDisk

And here is something useful from my personal archive, posted by TreeBoy
on 4 Mar 2005:

> A harddisc partition died on me without prior warnings. (ext3
> filesystem) The fsck command during boot suddenly reported:
>
> [...]
>
> I tried to read some data with the dd command and the first couple of
> blocks work ok but later it complains:

I've had exactly this problem occur at work yesterday. I thought I would
explain the full process for any other interested parties.

What you need to do is get the disk to a machine with sufficient space to hold
the entire contents of the disk (or partition) that you are concerned about.

You then need to ensure that you are able to write a file that is bigger than
2GB - this is the real problem that I have been having!!!

Then what you do is NOT MOUNT you're dodgy disk but do make sure that your
donor machine can see it.

If I presume that your bad disk is /dev/hda3 and that your good disk can be
written to the current directory, then you should then be able to copy the
contents to another disk by using the following command:

dd if=/dev/hda3 of=./recover.dat conv=noerror,sync.

The "noerror" bit says ignore errors and the "sync" option says to replace any
bad bits read with zero data instead.

You can then mount the resultant file loop.

As an aside: my problem has been the combination of a Promise FastTrak 100
controller which had one disk die in a mirrored pair and the fact that
neither DamnSmallLinux nor SystemRescueCD has allowed me to write a file
bigger than 2GB on an ext2 partition!!

Eventually I found that SystemRescueCD would allow me to create and mount a
ReiserFS partition where I can create a 20GB file!! Hurrah!

(I checked this by doing "dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/tmpdisk/blank_file bs=1k
count=30720000")

But SystemRescueCD is not able to see the blasted disk on the blasted FastTrak
controler!!!!!! AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Anyway - I hope this is of use to you.

TreeBoy

tong

PS. I highly recommend to keep Grml handy, which is build just for this.

check out my old post

Highly Recommend: Grml
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/249330