Re: Open Source Supported Graphics Cards

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:45, Seth Goodman wrote:

> Nothing would make me happier than if I believed this.  Unfortunately,
> they continue to do one thing right where the non-commercial Linux
> distros have consistently failed, and this prevents the scenario that
> you suggest from happening.  That is, they provide a platform that the
> non-technical user can install and maintain without a guru at their
> disposal.

That is just so wrong.    My father runs XP.   He is constantly ringing me up
because he's 'lost' files, or something doesn't work, and this is almost
always because Windows hides *everything* from the user - so he's never
grasped the difference between data files and programs, or the concept of a
directory structure.   He just expects to click on an icon and whatever he
wants will happen.

The problem is not that Windows caters for the ignorant - it's that it
*encourages* ignorance and makes it deliberately difficult for a user to know
what's going on.   There's a certain minimum level of knowledge required to
operate a computer - any computer - and Windows (in a misguided attempt to
make itself suitable for morons) does its best to ensure that users never
acquire any expertise at all.

cr