Re: Mount HD using disk labels via udev

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 11:23:36 +0200, T wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:42:29 +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>
> > On 13.08.06 17:35, T wrote:
> >> Can anyone give me a quick and generic recipe to mount HDs/USBpens by
> >> their labels?
> >>
> >> I've read many Udev articles but haven't figure that out yet.
> >
> > if you have 2.6 kernel, udev installed, enabled in /etc/udev/udev/conf
> > (UDEV_DISABLED="no"),
>
> yes
>
> > and usbmount installed
>
> no
>
> > it should work.
>
> how come?
>
> >From its description, the mountpoints for usbmount is /media/usb[0-7] by
> default; whereas I want them to mount as /media/my_this_usb_label, etc.
>
> any more tips? thanks

Well, which mechanism do you use (or want to use) for mounting the
devices? Are you looking for a command that you can run (maybe in a
script) or do you want to rely on the "an icon pops up on the desktop"
feature of KDE and Gnome? The problem with usbmount is that it calls the
"old" mount command and hence does not know how to use the volume label
which would be available via hal.

--
Regards,
          Florian