Re: Mount HD using disk labels via udev

T wrote:

Hi

Can anyone give me a quick and generic recipe to mount HDs/USBpens by
their labels? I've read many Udev articles but haven't figure that out yet.
thanks
I know that partitions can have labels. For ext2/ext3 partitions you can set/see partition labels using 'e2label' (man e2label for info).

Also 'mount -L <label>' I believe allows mounting by label (again, man mount) and the command 'mount -l' lists mounted partitions with label information.

I believe that a label may be specified in /etc/fstab also (instead of the device) by using 'LABEL=<label>' in place of the device (eg. '/deb/hda1'). Once more the man page for fstab explains it more clearly.

If you want to mount devices in specific places I really think that placing an entry in /etc/fstab is probably the best way to do it. The device does not have to be mounted at boot up, but if the entry is in /etc/fstab, when the time comes to mount them it can simply be done by a 'mount <device>' or 'mount -L <label>'.

As far as udev is concerned, I believe what it does is to "populate" /dev with devices. I also know that you can specify certain "rules" as to what name the device is placed in /dev as, etc. That's something that you'd have to look into to fully understand how to get udev to do these things. I believe the following links should help:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=259

HTH

Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque