beginner questions: MIDI playback, file dragging

1.
I installed Timidity, but if I start in the command line with a file
as argument, it complains that there is no config file.  If I click a
link to a MIDI, it offers to let me open it with Timidity and
disappears.  I open the midi file in Rosegarden or Muse, and it says
it is playing back, says it is outputting to my Audigy Wavetable, and
jack says the output from one is going to the input to the other, and
RG's MIDI track vus are bouncing away, but there is no sound.
Can Linux use my soundcard to play back General MIDI?  I apologize for
not reading every document there is on this, but I don't have enough
days.  Right now I just want to audition a MIDI file, but eventually I
would like to use MIDI playback while composing in Linux like I do in
Windows.

2.
When I'm trying to navigate in Firefox, sometimes I move the mouse and
find there is a file icon on my cursor, waiting for me to click on a
program with which to open it.  It won't go away; usually I click on
an open Firefox window and it opens some URL that got stuck to my
mouse cursor, and I have to navigate back to where I was.  Is this
Firefox or GNOME?  How do I set Linux/Firefox up so that this *never*
happens?  I will gladly give up the functionality of being able to
drag a file or URL to a program to open it.

-Chuckk