Re: weird ls behavior after ln/rm of dir from other user

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 11:35:03AM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 12.08.06 21:43, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> > While trying to make a mounted directory containing images available to
> > my wife on another computer, I created a soft link in her home dir, to
> > the /usr/local/film subdirectory (which I had already mounted through a
> > soft link in my own home dir).  She could not read the contents from
> > her computer.
>
> > ------------------
> > 06:19:07
> > daddy:~# ls -l /usr/local/film/
> > total 0
> > ?--------- ? ? ? ?                ? /usr/local/film/camera
> > ?--------- ? ? ? ?                ? /usr/local/film/cd
> > ?--------- ? ? ? ?                ? /usr/local/film/lost+found
> > ?--------- ? ? ? ?                ? /usr/local/film/movies
> > ?--------- ? ? ? ?                ? /usr/local/film/temp
> > ?--------- ? ? ? ?                ? /usr/local/film/vaughanPix
>
> try "ls -ld /usr/local/film", it looks like she has only "read" permission
> for that directory, so she may not access files through it (it required
> execute right on dir), so she may not even fount any informations about
> files/directories inside.

The problem involved my own directory, not hers (this got clipped out
in your quoting).  According tot he results as root, the mask was 755,
so I had execute permissions.

I went back and reset the owner and permissions for the directory
(recursively) to root.staff and 775, and things work again.  I can't
figure out what the heck happened, though.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,