Re: Clamav scans or removes virus ??

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Alejandro wrote:

> I have a Debian Sarge mail server with clamav antivirus, but I suspect
> it only scan for virus and don't remove them.
>
> Can you tell me if Clamav is just a virus scanner or if it can also
> remove virus that come through mail messages ???
>
> So what is the common use of Clamav in mail servers ???

If you want to scan your mail then Clamav works very well in conjunction
with MailScanner (see http://www.mailscanner.info/):

 MailScanner is a freely distributable E-Mail gateway virus scanner
 and spam detector. It uses sendmail or Exim as its basis, and a choice of
 17 commercial virus scanning engines to do the actual virus scanning.
 It can decode and scan attachments intended solely for Microsoft Outlook
 users (MS-TNEF). If possible, it will disinfect infected documents and
 deliver them automatically. It also has features which protect it against
 Denial Of Service attacks.

MailScanner will also block many other potential threats in your e-mail
even if not recognised as a virus by Clamav.  Its extremely configurable
features are very impressive.

Sadly, the Debian package is not kept up to date - the latest Debian
package is 4.51.5-1, which is well behind the latest stable version of
4.55.10-3.  It can of course be compiled from source.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service