Re: Patching a kernel source --verbose

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 01:18:30PM +0930, Arthur Marsh wrote:
The memtest86+ package installs as a grub option, so one doesn't need a separate boot image on CD to run it.

True, but from a user-friendliness stand point, it is much simpler.  I
know that grub always destroys my menu.lst whenever it touches it, so I
do not trust the authomated tools to update it or change it.

Regards,

-Roberto

I've wanted to have the automated tools to work for me, so I backed up /boot/grub/menu.lst, then read the manual page for update-grub before running it, observing the differences between the backed-up copy and the automatically updated copy and seeing what needed to be tweaked.

For instance in my

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

## ## Start Default Options ##

section I have (amongst other things)

# kopt=root=/dev/hda5 ro
# kopt_2_6_17_1_686=root=/dev/hda5 ro noisapnp
# kopt_2_6_17=root=/dev/hda5 ro noisapnp

# memtest86=true

which are read by update-grub (even though the line starts with #) to rewrite menu.lst to boot the kernel with "noisapnp" in effect, and to create the memtest grub option:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel memtest86+
root            (hd0,4)
kernel          /boot/memtest86+.bin
boot

Arthur.