Re: Patching a kernel source --verbose

On 8/10/06, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 03:02:51PM -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> I have linux-2.6.17, trying to patch it with 2.6.17-mm6,
> patch-2.6.17-rt8 from Molnar, and bootsplash-3.1.6-2.6.15.diff.
> I'm a little confused why, when I enter:
> Hammertime:/home/chuckk/Desktop/kernel/new/linux-2.6.17-mm6# patch
> --verbose -p1 ../2.6.17-mm6
>
> the terminal sits idle, apparently indefinitely.  I realize it's a
> huge patch, but shouldn't --verbose give me some indication that
> something is happening?

You need either of these lines:

patch --verbose -p1 -i ../2.6.17-mm6
patch --verbose -p1 < ../2.6.17-mm6

Basically, it does not where to get input unless you supply it on stdin
or you give it an input file name.

Cool, thank you.
BTW, I know it must seem like the most obvious thing in the world, but
the more I google and search Debian help, the less answers I find...
what do you do when applying two patches tells you:
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
Does that mean the patches are incompatible?  I'm actually only
experimenting with the patches, as I can't find a whole lot of info on
the patches either.

Thanks.
-Chuckk

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."