Samsung it is: YP-C1Z (was Re: mp3 players with Debian (samsung and iriver))

H.S. wrote:

Thinking of getting an mp3 portable player. Options are iRiver t30 and Samsung YP-C1Z. The latter also a radio tuner in it so this appears to be the preferred one. The main deciding factor for these was that they play OGG files.

Has anyone used either of these with Debian? I just wanted some feedback if it is straight forward to transfer files to/from these as USB devices.

If anyone is using any other mp3 player with Debian, it would be great if you could mention your models.

thanks,
->HS
PS: Target system is Debian Etch or Sid running 2.6.16 kernel.

Thanks to everyone who replied to help.

Got the Samsung YP-C1Z (basically YP-C1, Z means it has 1GB capacity). Gets detected as any usb stick, in Debian Etch running 2.6.12-2. BTW, when tried on Sid running 2.6.16, the kernel gave an error (in KDE) something about hal. Haven't looked at the problem yet but looks like somethings wrong with hal in Sid.

The player is quite nice. Quality is good and tuner is nice too. Plays OGG alongwith MP3, WAV and WMA (as far as I know). The tool that comes with the device runs in Windows (maybe in OSX, but haven't tried that yet) but is not really needed, simple drag and drop works in Windows as well as Linux.

Only thing that confuses me a bit is that it came with 2.301 firmware (oh, firmware can be burned only via its Windows utility) but Samsung's website lists a firmware of 2.201. So either an older firmware is up on their site or newer ones have smaller numbers. Not sure yet which one is true.

->HS