Re: Naming multiple alsa sound cards (was Re: synthetic sound generator with api)

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:46:32 -0400
"Chuckk Hubbard" <badmuthahubbard@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/10/06, Jacob S <stormspotter@6texans.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:35:33 -0400

> > > Okay, snd-emu10k1 is already there, because I added it previously.
> > > Any idea where I can find the appropriate names for the MIDI
> > > devices? The names in /proc/asound/cards are completely
> > > different- it has "Audigy" rather than "emu10k1".
> >
> > What did alsaconf put in /etc/modprobe.d/sound? That should list the
> > module names. Failing all else, you might be able to deduce the
> > names from an "lsmod | grep snd".
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/sound:
> #alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> #options snd-emu10k1 index=0
>
> lol
> Maybe because the other two are MIDI controllers?  I don't know if
> they'd be classified as "snd" or not;

If Alsa has anything to do with them, then yes, they are classified as
snd.

> one is an Evolution UC-33e, and
> the other is a M-Audio MIDIsport 1x1.  Like I said before, I'm not
> sure how much these instructions apply, since I really do only have
> one soundcard.  Before I reconfigured my kernel, these lines were what
> made qjackctl only recognize either the soundcard OR the MIDI devices,
> never both...

If I remember correctly, you said the midi controllers are connected
by usb, right?

> I can't make anything of lsmod either.  Thanks for your help, btw.
>
> Hammertime:/home/chuckk# lsmod | grep snd
> snd_usb_audio          69408  53
> snd_usb_lib            14656  1 snd_usb_audio
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Assuming I remembered correctly, there's two of the modules right there.

> snd_emu10k1_synth       6592  0
> snd_emux_synth         31424  1 snd_emu10k1_synth
> snd_seq_virmidi         7584  1 snd_emux_synth
> snd_seq_midi_emul       5728  1 snd_emux_synth
> snd_seq_dummy           3684  0
> snd_seq_oss            29444  0
> snd_seq_midi            8160  0
> snd_seq_midi_event      7008  3
> snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi snd_seq
> 45676  12
> snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_midi_emul,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_emu10k1           101988  5 snd_emu10k1_synth
> snd_rawmidi            23008  4
> snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_midi,snd_emu10k1
> snd_ac97_codec         83968  1 snd_emu10k1 snd_ac97_bus
> 2688  1 snd_ac97_codec snd_pcm_oss            36864  0
> snd_mixer_oss          15552  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                76836  6
> snd_usb_audio,snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_seq_device          7788  8
> snd_emu10k1_synth,snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
> snd_timer              21476  3 snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
> snd_page_alloc          9576  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
> snd_util_mem            4448  2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
> snd_hwdep               9284  3
> snd_usb_audio,snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1 snd
> 48576  76
> snd_usb_audio,snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_device,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
> soundcore               9856  1 snd usbcore               114524  5
> usbhid,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,uhci_hcd

Most of the modules with 'midi' in their name are used by both the midi
controllers and emu10k1, from what I can see.

Also, have you tried doing any googling to see what modules are needed
for your midi controllers? I suspect it is just those two I pointed out
above. Which means to always have the midi controllers in a certain
order, not just after or before the the emu10k1, you will need to do
more research on /etc/modprobe.d/sound, /proc/asound/cards and alsa so
that you can tell it which order to put them in. Sorry, I have never
had an emu10k1, more than one sound card or midi controllers, so I am
going on the limited information you have provided.

HTH,
Jacob