Re: Tkabber ugly fonts

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 03:06:13PM EDT, Petteri wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> I'm using Tkabber for my jabber needs, but the fonts are really
> ugly. Here is picture how the Tkabber looks
> http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l162/petteri2/tkabber.png . Does
> anyone have any tips how can I get some nicer looking fonts? Don't know
> if it is relevant, but other apps with tk in their names (tkv, gitk)
> have much nicer fonts. I'm running up to date unstable.

I don't use this program -- or anything jabber for that matter -- but
I have a soft spot for fonts and "ugly fonts" usually get me going.

I think you need to take a look at /usr/share/doc/tkabber/README.gz
especially steps 3 (install) and 4 (configure).

I *suspect* that what you are seeing is a bare-bones version of tkabber
and that you need to customize it to get the rather elegant look
exemplified by the screenshots available at the tkabber web site.

Shot in the dark .. but regarding fonts my guess would be that the
default font that tkabber normally uses on linux is not available on
your system and that causes it to default to the horrible font you are
seeing.

Out of curiosity, I did an apt-get of tkabber on this sarge box and what
I am getting is the same fixed font that I use in xterm's at the same
point size.  Hardly a coincidence, I would imagine.

But that's enough speculation for now and I really don't have the time
to look into this further.

So, I would suggest you read the doc I mention above and try to make
some sense of it.

If you can't and no tkabber wizard sees this thread, you could try to
check the tkabber web site .. see if they have a forum .. mailing list
etc.

Who knows.. by the time I post this, maybe someone more knowledgeable
than myself will already have given the correct answer.

HTH

Thanks

cga