Re: Tkabber ugly fonts

cga2000 kirjoitti ti  8. elokuuta 2006 00:28:24:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 03:06:13PM EDT, Petteri wrote:
> > Hello list!
> >
> > I'm using Tkabber for my jabber needs, but the fonts are really
> > ugly. Here is picture how the Tkabber looks
> > http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l162/petteri2/tkabber.png . Does
> > anyone have any tips how can I get some nicer looking fonts? Don't know
> > if it is relevant, but other apps with tk in their names (tkv, gitk)
> > have much nicer fonts. I'm running up to date unstable.
> >
> I don't use this program -- or anything jabber for that matter -- but
> I have a soft spot for fonts and "ugly fonts" usually get me going.
>
> I think you need to take a look at /usr/share/doc/tkabber/README.gz
> especially steps 3 (install) and 4 (configure).

Ahh.. thanks. I should have been looking more carefully about the config
options. There is a section to specify the interface font. I somehow
thought that it would be configurable from the tkabber if somewhere.

> I *suspect* that what you are seeing is a bare-bones version of tkabber
> and that you need to customize it to get the rather elegant look
> exemplified by the screenshots available at the tkabber web site.

Yes. I created ~/.tkabber/config.tcl file with options like these:

   set font "-monotype-arial-medium-r-normal-*-13-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1"
   option add *font \
          "-monotype-arial-medium-r-normal-*-13-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1" \
          userDefault

I changed the default fonts picking ones I like with xfontsel and now my
Tkabber looks fine.

> But that's enough speculation for now and I really don't have the time
> to look into this further.

You saved my day, so thanks for the effort it helped a lot :)

Petteri