Re: Apache2 Manhattan Virtual Classroom

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 01:43:30PM -0400, Cary Pembleton wrote:
> Simo,
> Coming from a Linux nearly newbie, nothing is obvious. I am a Microsoft
> System Admin and IT consultant for their products, I have a long way to go
> for Linux. Here is the output from the command you gave me.

OK, let's try to take this step by step :)

First of all, do you still have
User www-data
Group www-data
in your /etc/apache2/apache2.conf?

Secondly, do you have your ip-address in your /etc/apache2/ports.conf?
If not, you need to add it there:
Listen xx.yy.zz.ww:80

xx.yy.zz.ww is your ip-address.

Do you have your server name defined in the /etc/hosts? If not, you need
to add it there:
xx.yy.zz.ww www.manhat.yourdomain.com

Then just symlink the default file from the
/etc/apache2/sites-available/ directory to the
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ directory:
ln -s /etc/apache2/sites-available/default /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/default

If there are any other files in the /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/
-directory, move them away for a while.

Then restart your www-server.

Then try to access your www-server to see that it works (you should see
the apache default page).

Note, you need have root access to do those things.

This is just to make sure that the server itself is working.

Unfortunately I have a 64-bit server, so I can't test the
manhat-installation myself :(

Simo