Re: Apache2 Manhattan Virtual Classroom

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 11:18:00AM -0400, Cary Pembleton wrote:
> Simo,
> First of all "Thank you!" and I really mean that. I really appreciate this
> list and the=e people on it who try to help each other. I believe the
> directories are readable by www-data, since www-data is a member of the
> manhat "Group" and manhat is a member of the "www-data" group. How can I
> verify this is the case? What command can I issue to see what "rights" the
> www-data "User" and "Group" have on those directories? I think you make a
> good point, I want to explore this possibility.
> Thanks again,
>
> Cary Pembleton
> IT Consultant
> PC Tech Help, LLC
> 32 Cove Lane
> Campbellsville, KY 42718
> (270) 789-0187 Office
> http://www.pctechhelp.net

Hi,

First check who owns the directories and what are their permissions.
Just `ls -la /home/manhat/manhat-x.x.x` will give the listing of the
directory.

The output should be something like
drwxr-xr-x 28 manhat manhat  4096 2006-08-02 16:59 .
drwxrwsr-x  3 root   manhat  4096 2006-02-11 22:13 ..
drwxr-xr-x 13 manhat manhat  4096 2006-05-12 21:09 bin
drwxr-xr-x  2 manhat manhat  4096 2006-06-02 19:06 sbin
drwxr-xr-x  6 manhat manhat  4096 2006-05-13 08:29 images

Don't mind the dates and times but check that the permissions are
drwxr-xr-x for '.', 'bin', 'sbin' and 'images'. The first letter means
directory, the three following letters are the permission for the owner
(read, write, execute), the three following letters are the permission for
the group and last the three letters are the permissions for everybody else.

The same applies to the files inside the directories, without the first
'd'.

If the directories have the permissions drwxr-xr-x, then everybody
(including www-data) can access them, but only manhat can write in
there.

Let's not worry about writing yet, as I think your www-data cannot even
read the directory :)

One thing I did not notice in your posting: what is the DocumentRoot for
your setup?

I mean, do you have an index page e.g. in
/home/manhat/manhat-x.x.x -directory? If so, have you set your
DocumentRoot accordingly?

If your DocumentRoot points e.g. to /var/www/, then you need an
alias:
Alias / /home/manhat/manhat-x.x.x

depending on the location of the index page of course.

Of course you can set your DocumentRoot directly to
/home/manhat/manhat-x.x.x

Simo

Sorry, if this is too obvious :)

--