Re: Do I need to upgrade my kernel (kernel-image-2.4-k6)?

Robert S wrote:
>  *** 2.4.27-10sarge1 0
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> I assume I still have the old version.

Yes, you have.

> Is this likely to break any dependencies?

Usually kernel is actually pretty easy to upgrade -- after everything
depends on it, rather then other way around. And moreover, this package was
after all created by Debian security team.

> I don't think I have any patches installed

No, according to the above shown output of apt-cache you have just plain
Debian kernel.

> Maybe the patched kernel needs to be installed manually to prevent systems
> with automatic updating from installing a new kernel without user
> intervention??  I think some distros do this.

It shouldn't -- Debian is able to upgrade kernel without problems. No idea,
what it doesn't work.

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

Why should I travel, when I'm already there?
    -- Bostonian lady, when being asked why she never visited
        other places than Boston