Suspend removes /sys files needed for touchpad

Hi,

Trying to debug a failure to recreate the event devices needed for a laptop
touchpad after S3 suspend-to-ram (I've posted on this previously, but have
narrowed things down a bit). It's a Centrino running testing.

During a normal boot these messages appear:

Jul 31 00:52:08 viewmaster kernel: Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 5.6, id:
0x9244b1, caps: 0x80471b/0x0
Jul 31 00:52:08 viewmaster kernel: input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
as /class/input/input2

Once booted, modprobe -r psmouse makes /sys/class/input2 and .../mouse0
disappear, and modprobe psmouse puts them back. This makes udev remove and
create the same devices in /dev/input. (Obviously the touchpad stops and
starts accordingly.)

After a resume from ram, these files and devices are missing, and inserting
psmouse does not create them. All other devices behave normally.

I was trying to write a udev rule to create them, but if the files are not
there in /sys, that won't work.

So my questions:  What happens during boot which prompts the kernel to create
these files? In the case of the touchpad, what is missing after a suspend
that prevents it? And is there, say, an initscript or service I could restart
that might restore them? Or any other workaround?

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks,

John