Re: kernel: hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x20

Stephen G wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am running Debian3.1 with kernel 2.6.8-2-386 on a Dell Laptop. I am using it as a remotely accessed always-on server. It seems to run quite well, but sometimes after a few months, I get a "dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x20" error the file system (reiserFS) resets itself into readonly mode. I get all sorts of Input/Output errors and I can't even reboot the box.
>
> Is this showing that the disk is bad? It seems not to be as it is working fine for months before getting the DMA errors. Is there anything I can configure to avoid these problems? Is there a kernel modification, or fstab/hdparm command, or other filesystem that I should use that will prevent the drive going into read-only mode?

Have a look at this bug report I filed some time ago. It does look
rather similar.

Unfortunately I never did get a fix on it. That said, the problem
doesn't happen very often now - maybe something was changed in the few
kernel updates since I last looked at the problem.

Best regards,

--
George Borisov

DXSolutions Ltd