Re: kernel: hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x20

George,

Thanks for the reply.  I looked up the bug report, and it looks very similar to what I'm experiencing.  What Kernel are you running with now where you see the problem less now?

I don't think that I have Seagate drive, and until recently I was using the hard drive in a happy, working Windows machine.  I can't really do a detailed hardware analysis until I can get someone to do a hard reboot of the box.

I know that this has happened once before as I build the server in January and it failed sometime before April.  I did a hard reset of the server in April and it recovered without any problem.  I was uploading and downloading several gigabytes of data since then, and on July 1st, the kernel reported a "kernel: hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x20" error and the disk went into read-only mode.

I am wondering if the best bet is to try to run the server from a bootable CD rom and run the OS in memory and then access the hard drive only for storage purposes...

If anyone has any more suggestions, I would appreciate it.