Re: Upcoming Release of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 - a beginner's query/request

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 07:30:08 +1000, Felix Karpfen wrote:

[...]

> I note, from a cursory read, that the dist-upgrade should be run from a
> console (and not from XWindows).  Not as straightforward as it once
> was, since the system currently defaults to "gdm".

You can press CTRL + ALT + F1 (or F2 - F6) at the gdm log-in screen and
you will switch to a terminal. You can log in there, perform the upgrade
as per the instructions on the Debian website and afterwards you run

/etc/init.d/gdm restart && exit

and you will be all set.

(I did not follow this thread from the beginning, therefore I might have
 misunderstood your comment and told you something that you already
 know.)

--
Regards,
          Florian