Re: Stuck with dpkg: can neither remove nor reinstall a package

Pollywog wrote:
On Sunday 30 July 2006 00:17, Nick Lidakis wrote:

There was no old package. The .deb was downloaded (Sourceforge?) from a
site to be used with Debian Sid, which I am running. Something happened
when I tried to install it; can't remember the original error message.

So that is why I'm stuck. I can't reinstall the gtkwifi.deb that I have
in my home directory in order to complete its removal.

Any other suggestions?

You might try making a package with the same name, using the equivs package.
There are sample control files with the equivs package. I have done this when I had the same sort of problem you are experiencing and it usually worked. The package will be a fake package but it should overwrite the broken one, then you can remove the fake package.

So I tried it Apt-get install equivs, read the man, use an existing example and edit it:

Section: non-free/editors
Package: gtkwifi
Depends: libc6, xlib6g
This package will ensure the libraries used by Star Office are
installed.
.
Download site for Star Office 5 Personal Edition is
http://www.stardivision.com/office/so5linux_license.html

Now, I left the dependencies line alone because I don't know at this point what gtkwifi depends on. But after building this fake package, now called gtkwifi_1.0_all.deb, it won't overwrite the old package. Should the dependencies line also be edited?

It complains: Preparing to replace gtkwifi 1.09 (using gtkwifi_1.0_all.deb) . . .
Unpacking replacement
dpkg:  error processing gtkwifi_1.0_all.deb (--install):
there is no script in the new version of the package - giving up

Nick